February Featured Athlete - Sue Sappington
1. What brought you into CrossFit Pallas?
I've always worked out (running, zumba, aqua classes, bootcamp, cycling, etc.) and wanted to work out using more weights so I could get stronger. I read somewhere that when you are over 50 it's important to use weights on a regular basis.
2. What motivates you to come so regularly to the 6:30 class?
I love the 6:30 pm class! We are just one big happy family in that class. Plus, I love Jana, Andy, Kylie and Darin who are the coaches for that class. I like the challenge of trying to make it through a workout having done everything on this list (even if you have to scale it). Everyone in that class is so encouraging with each other.
3. What’s your favorite CF movements?
4. What’s your least favorite?
5. If you could write one WOD, what would it look like?
Running 400 meters, 20 thrusters and 40 squats, repeat, repeat, repeat until you can’t possibly do one more
6. What are some goals you’ve accomplished since starting CF?
When I first started Crossfit I could barely hang on to the bar for more than 2 seconds, now I can actually do a kip swing! I also remember not being able to put any weight on the bar when we did any kind of lifting.
7. What are some future goals you have?
I want to do double unders (more than one at a time), at least one pull-up, climb the rope (at least halfway) and do a handstand push-up.
8. Where are you from?
I live in Trumansburg, NY
9. What do you do for a living?
I work at Cornell in the ILR School as a program assistant in the alumni affairs and development office.
10. Do you have any pets?
2 cats and 1 dog
11. What’s your favorite season and why?
Winter because I hate being hot unless I’m working out or at the beach.
12. Vodka, beer, wine, cider, or neither?
I'm a rum girl!
13. If you could go on vacation anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
Greece so I could eat real feta cheese and Kalamata olives
14. Who’s your favorite author or what’s your favorite book?
Right now I'm reading The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn. It's a really good book!
15. What do you like to do outside of CF and work?
Read and shop for things I don't need with money I don't have. I'm a shopaholic.
16. What do you do for self care?
I go to Crossfit!
17. What’s your favorite local restaurant and what do you like to get from there?
Falls Tavern of course! I love their breakfast on Sundays. Stuffed croissant French toast is the best!
18. What’s your favorite home cooked dish?
Anything that someone else makes!
19. If you could have dinner with one famous person past or present, who would it be?
Richard Gere because I've got a thing for him.
20. What would you tell someone hesitant about starting CF?
Don't be afraid!! The coaches will teach you everything you need to know! I love the fact that at the beginning of every single class we go over the workout and I swear I learn something new every time. Everyone is so nice and welcoming, you never feel out of place.